Monday, September 6, 2010

Why being an alien is NOT out of this world...

So if I were to give one piece of advice to all you thrifty people out there, it would to not marry someone without a U.S. passport. Just getting Britboy into the country to get married is going to cost us about $3,000. There are a lot of checks I do not enjoy writing, but these are the worst. But I should count myself lucky so far. I had one friend who had to shell out roughly $10,000 in processing and laywer fees. Let's hope there's no other fine print I haven't overlooked.

So that sucks, but I'm not factoring immigration costs into the overall $10,000 because I don't want to think about it and most people, hopefully find their future mates somewhere in the continental United States and don't have to worry about that. They also probably don't have to compile documents proving they're in a relationship. You know I actually read an article in the Times that said that some couples actually take pictures of themselves having sex. Even more surprisingly that does not result in an immdiate green card. I briefly thought of submitting a picture of us kissing in front of the Eiffel Tower, but didn't want the immigration agent to puke on the paperwork I spent 10 days preparing.

No comments:

Post a Comment